A diet full of processed grains, vegetable oils, and sugars, much like the Standard American Diet (SAD), stresses the adrenals. In particular, these foods are especially impactful in the fight against Adrenal Fatigue…
Conversely, a nutrient-rich diet, including healthy fats and fiber, helps support adrenal health and can aid in Adrenal Fatigue recovery.
What to include
- Healthy fats
- Olives and Olive oil
- Coconut oil, Coconut milk,
- Avocado Seeds
- Fatty fish
- Grass-fed meats
- Grass-fed butter
Vegetables provide a variety of nutrients to nourish the whole body, including the adrenals. Protein, specifically in the morning, is recommended to consume approximately 40g of protein in the morning to provide support to the adrenal throughout the day.
What not to exclude
- Sugar and sweeteners
- Starchy carbohydrates
- Processed foods (particularly processed meats)
- Hydrogenated oils
Here are some recommendations for meal planning that will save you time, energy, and will keep you from reaching for not-so-healthy options, and affect adrenal fatigue.
It is never too late to meal prep! It can help elevate stress by knowing you have dinner’s plans, but it also can provide satisfaction in knowing you are eating healthy foods. If you are new to the idea of meal planning, talk with friends and share recipes, go to the farmer’s market with a friend, and split the cost of volume veggies and fruits.
Engage with family members in planning a meal and writing the shopping list! Getting kids involved in the cooking process will make them interested in the food they eat. The idea of “Social Meal Planning” can help expand your recipes, provide support for eating healthily, and save money. It initially may take time, but it eventually turns into a routine. Habits that took years to build take time to change.
Quick tips for Meal Planning
- Have a note pad or phone app to jot down ideas.
- Keeping in mind the recipes should be easy to make. Start with listing some of your favorite dishes and add a new recipe that a friend may have shared or you saw on a social media site. Every time you try a new recipe that is enjoyable, you will begin to increase your list of favorite dishes and have more variety to choose from.
- If you really enjoy a certain dish, plan to make enough for leftovers. You can also freeze leftovers! This way, you have meals prepared for the following week.
- Cutting veggies can be time-consuming, but you can cut extra veggies to keep for your other recipes. You may also consider it—a Cuisinart or dicer to speed up the process.
As we continue to improve our health and nutrition, the benefits of planning our meals will assist in Adrenal Fatigue Recovery.
Our upcoming Adrenal Fatigue Email Series will explain the fight-or-flight response, adverse effects of chronic stress, and lifestyle fixes. Are you ready to help your body heal naturally? Opt-in now so we can add you to the list.