The Functional Medicine Approach
Functional medicine focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of disease and examines every factor involved, including symptoms, genes, environment, and lifestyle factors, to treat the causes of illness, not just the symptoms. It uses the symptoms as a clue to discover something hidden deeper.
A vital aspect of addressing disease and illness is first identifying the root cause. While there can be any number of factors causing an illness, a few common root causes of many health issues include:
- improper sleeping
- poor diet
- immune imbalances
- negative thought patterns
- lack of regular exercise
- digestive problems
- toxin exposure
At the heart of functional medicine lies the understanding that problems can progress and worsen when the underlying causes are not addressed. Lifestyle factors often are consequently led to irritating, chronic, and painful medical conditions. The body is well equipped to heal itself. However, a poor diet and excessive external stressors interfere with the body’s ability to heal naturally.
Functional medicine can help with the following conditions.
- CARDIOMETABOLIC CONDITIONS (diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease)
- NEUROLOGICAL AND PSYCHIATRIC CONDITIONS (depression, attention deficit disorder, and migraine headaches
- DIGESTIVE DISORDERS (irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, chronic pancreatitis, acid reflux, and diverticulosis)
- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and celiac disease)
- SKIN DISORDERS (psoriasis, acne, and eczema)
- HORMONAL PROBLEMS (thyroid conditions, chronic fatigue, and menopause)
A systems-based approach is needed when it comes to chronic conditions, but this can be a time-consuming process, which is why functional medicine is the preferred approach.
– Focuses on the cause of symptom treatment
– A holistic view of the entire body rather than a collection of separate systems
– Examines the body, mind, and spirit connections to determine both physical and emotional aspects of the disease
– Improve the body’s innate healing ability
– Partners with patients allowing both parties to participate in treatment actively
The main goal is to repair and restore the body’s natural ability to heal by restoring system balance. Each plan developed between a patient and a functional medicine health professional aims to restore imbalances causing a specific condition or prevent chronic conditions from occurring in the first place.
Care plans may include
- Lifestyle changes such and diet and exercise
- Testing for hormone imbalances or nutritional deficiencies
- Assessing family medical history
- Stress management tools
- Detoxification programs
- Nutritional supplements
- Botanical remedies
- Prescription medications
The partnership created between physician and patient allows the patient to become an active participant in the healing process, providing the patient control of improving their health and achieving optimal wellness.
Functional medicine recognizes the need for a life in balance with connection, community, love, support, and a sense of empowerment as essential elements for achieving optimal health.
Contact us at Katas Health to discuss your customized plan or schedule online.